Civil War Sites
South Central Pennsylvania
Our May 4th Spring Tour will be covering pre-Gettysburg sites covering Carlisle into Harrisburg. June 27 – July 1, 1863.
COST: $70 per person
[NOTE: DEPARTURE LOCATION HAS CHANGED !!!!]
The bus will leave from and return to WHITMAN SQUARE by the WAL-MART, 9700-9800 Roosevelt Blvd, Phila. PA.
Includes free parking, deluxe Hagey motor coach, driver tip, buffet lunch, snacks & beverages on board, and all fees/admissions.
- Carlisle –
- Sites pertaining to 2 of 3 of Ewell’s divisions
- Jeb Stuart’s shelling of Carlisle sites and damage still visible
- General Jenkins invasion route toward Harrisburg.
- Many of the buildings used as artillery positions in the Mechanicsburg area are still in use!
- Rupp House & Barn Confederate Hospital now the library
- Albright House
- Bowman Home
- Barn used by Jenkins reconnaissance for observation area on June 30th
- Fort Couch where 12,000 NY National Guards camped with Pennsylvania Emergency Militia
- We will then proceed to Harrisburg to the Pennsylvania State Civil War Flag lab. On Independence Day 1866 General Meade took control of the state flags and presented them to the commonwealth. After being kept in various places, they are now in their present home. Some Philadelphia regimental flags are being displayed just for us!
- Then a tour of the Harrisburg Cemetery, featuring
- Gen. Geary and Statue
- Simon Cameron grave
- Confederate Dead from Gettysburg
- Gov. David Rittenhouse Porter
- Many more …
12:00 – 1:00 Lunch is at Lin Buffet. (All you can eat!)
5:00 – Depart Harrisburg – Rest stop on the way home
Our Tour Guide, Fellow Meade Society member Jim Schmick, has been recognized by state, county and municipal governments for his historic preservation efforts. The monuments & waysides featured on the tour were designed and mostly funded by Camp Curtin Historical Society which Jim is co-founder & current President. Waysides and monuments can be found on www.civilwarandmore.com along with Jim’s Bio.
For trip reservation and payment, contact:
Jerry McCormick (215) 848-7753, email: email@example.com